Dec 4, 2013

self-marketing....

applying for jobs and going for interviews has its own learning curve.. at least for someone like me it does..

i think part of the problem lies with me not really liking the process of selling myself (which is what a CV and interview is ALL about...) because i always feel like the proof is in the pudding! don't you hate it when you get fooled by advertisements?!?! i don't wanna be a disappointing product that was marketed well.. but i know, if i want to GET the job i'll have to be that ad campaign that leaves lasting impressions..and if i wanna KEEP the job i'll have to be a product that people will be proud to use and rave about to their friends...

I guess in a CV because you get time to sit and think about what you wanna say and only cringe to yourself when you sell yourself, it's something that I don't really mind too much about...or maybe I just enjoy presenting my ideas in the written word.. (come to think of it, there haven't been many opportunities for presentations at uni....)

But in an interview... I think the question that I dislike the most would be "tell me about yourself" .. Coz when I get asked that question I always feel like my education is on a CV right under their noses and they have perused it before, why do I need to tell them about that again?!?! but the fact is, they DO want to hear about it... :/ when they ask me such questions my mind sometimes just goes into a blank and overthinks what I should or should not say and the end result is I say too little.... so little that they don't feel I elaborate well enough.. *sigh*

I guess all I hope for is that when the right job comes along I'll be able to give the interviewer a deal that they can't refuse.. 

-llen-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home