Apr 15, 2009

Justice served? not quite...

Warning: long post.....

I forgot if I've ever mentioned about a problem with the library in my blog before... so I shall write a summary of events...

-The Tuesday or Wednesday (i can't really remember) before CNY holidays I returned a book via book drop.. coz that book was absolutely horrible!! in case ur wondering why i even borrowed it.. well..i was in a rush and didn't check to see that the book had lotsa missing pages...
-Few days or a day after returning... it should be a thursday.. i was with Yimin at the library opening the page to my library account and was surprised to see the book had not been cleared... decided to report to librarian lady...
-Kept checking throughout holidays to see if it had been cleared.. it was still there....
-College started... I got panicky... decided to gently remind the librarian... ended up having to tell the whole story again to 2nd librarian lady and having them ask me questions which i have answered the 1st librarian lady.. asked me to check the shelves...check the drop-in log book... and the funny thing was the book wasn't there.. even the serial number wasn't in the log book....was asked to see another librarian lady.
-saw 3rd librarian lady. had to explain all over again about the problem. had to remember dates again... she checked the log book (as if i hadn't done it...) and told me to check the shelves... something about she will get the student helpers to look for it...
-student helpers or anybody at all couldn't find the book...
-case K.I.V. ... and perhaps you could say i'm sensitive but when people make a statement like "we cannot find the book you claimed to have returned. if you returned it it should be in the log book but the problem is it is not there" i feel like an accusation is being flung at me.. it's like calling me a liar... but we let it go and temporarily if i wanted to borrow anything i had to see this higher-power librarian lady... (but i didn't borrow anything coz it was too much trouble)

fast forward a few months...

- a letter arrives saying i had been given 3 warnings and i hadn't returned the book... i did tell my mum about this when it happened but when she saw the letter she kinda got pissed... and dad found out and he also got pissed... mum called up the library and was passed to the said higher-power librarian lady (a.k.a 3rd librarian lady) ... and she gave a semi-dramatic speech.. though not dramatic enough..haha... she said something like "my daughter trusted the system and now look what happened. she is very disappointed. can you tell me, who actually checks all these books that come in?" and librarian lady couldn't answer and just told mum to tell me to see her... if it was my kid in that situation maybe i'd say something like "my daughter is an innocent, naive student. how can you accuse her of such a thing? she just wanted to return a book and look what happened. clearly you people aren't doing your job right. *insert more dramatic stuff*"
-anyways i went to see her... and had to repeat the case ALL over again... i was pretty pissed about this procedure coz it's a waste of paper..waste of my time...waste of my saliva... and after a whole lotta talking we ended up at square one .. no book found, case KIV. and the lady thought mum called for a different reason... not to get justice but she thought it's coz i cant borrow anything... ughh...

fast forward to today.....
we have a moral assignment to do and i had to get info on abortion... so i went to the library and got a few books... and typed what i could in case i couldn't borrow anything... yimin came to the library looking for me coz i decided to meet her for lunch.. then i went in to look for 3rd librarian lady to borrow the books coz she was the only who could get the people to let me borrow books... when we stepped out the office door to the library area she told me "your case was KIV right? ok.. i found the book already and i checked it in. so your case is cleared. i wanted to inform you earlier but i thought i would see you when you need to borrow books so i can tell you." and she told me it was probably a student helper's mistake that the book was supposed to be in the main collection but they put it in the reserved collection -.- ..gee..so much for saying you've looked EVERYWHERE and couldn't find it.. so i was overjoyed at the moment that i was proven innocent and i gladly took the books and went out with Yimin...

I didn't eat with Yimin. I watched her eat coz dad was picking me, bro and mum for dim sum ^^

In the car i told dad that i'm Freeeeeee~~~!! then he saw the books and he guessed it was abt the library... but he was not satisfied.. he told me to sue them -.- ... and when i said the librarian said something like ur cleared he was even more furious..haha.. he said "they think you're a criminal or what huh? cleared ahh..don't let them bully you..etc etc " ... after picking bro and mum i shared the story with mum.. then she also told me to question the lady more... and she said something like "ask them to pay ahh!! send letter ask you to pay somemore that time... you write in lah... we still got the letter right?? i asked her that time who check all these books..etc etc" ... And a few things dawned on me

1. My parents are right. I should have been braver and questioned her.... and stuff like these should have come to mind right there and then...
2. Librarian lady didn't even say "sorry" for all the accusations...the trouble that they have caused me...
3. This still does not explain why the serial number was not on the log book.... (it can be explained if you make a few assumptions but i'd rather hear it from the librarian lady's mouth what exactly happened...)

so at one point i was happy that they know i never lied to them... but then after all these have been pointed out... i guess... justice wasn't served AT ALL... i was at the receiving end of accusations and i was tolerant with them.... i didn't fuss much (despite my parents' encouragement to go and create havoc XD )... and all along it was their mistake... maybe i really should be a lawyer ... XD ...

-llen-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home