Apr 17, 2014

inspired..

Exams in less than a month but.. I still watch videos now and again :p

BUT! the video that I watched might be somewhat related to my course so it's not a total waste of time I suppose..
Anyways, the point of this post is not about my procrastination but it's about the video itself..
This semester I took Development Economics and just fell in love with Economics all over again.. there was a point in my education where I just felt like I was studying something quite pointless because theory and reality seldom match up.. while it's not that different in Development Econ but it felt more meaningful, trying to understand the behaviours of the poor and trying to understand what could help to eradicate poverty..

So the lecturer mentioned a particular video from the Why Poverty series on Africa but I thought all the videos in the series were pretty interesting.. but the one I just watched was the Solar Mamas video



It's about giving a few women from rural areas around the world (for example Jordan, Colombia, Burkina Faso) education so that they can bring solar technology to their villages.. with their education they can then teach the other women in their villages and that will give them a way to get a source of income and perhaps a way out of poverty..
I guess what I felt from watching the video was that, we take so many things for granted.. In many places around the world today men are still the dominant one in the household even if they may not make the best decisions... We're given so many opportunities and so much comfort in life and yet we complain it isn't enough..
I'm grateful for everything I have but I also wish that someday, I'll be able to do something that can contribute to poverty eradication in some way...

someday..

-llen- 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home